Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Passing the Torch

I just wanted to share my thoughts today as I watched the transfer of power from President Bush to President Obama. Our principal at our school is so smart, and he asked all the teachers to tune in their televisions to the broadcast of the inauguration so the kids could witness the historical event. Then he also challenged the students to write about it in their journals. So, I'm going to take on his challenge.

Overall, I watched the broadcast with a fair amount of hope. I am, without a doubt, so happy that my children will grow up in a nation where it is possible for anyone to be president, regardless of race or gender. It's a very cool thing. I am happy for the young African Americans of our country that they have this role model to look up to. I hope many of them choose to follow his example rather than some of the sports figures who lead rather sorry lives.

I am hopeful that President Obama can unite our nation. I am SO SICK of the partisan bickering. He says this is his goal, and I think we should all hold him to it. While I may not agree with all of his policies, he is my president and I will support him as best I can. I really do love this country. Things feel like a bit of a mess right now, but I still believe there is no greater nation on this earth. But we have to believe that it belongs to us, the people. We are responsible for making the change happen. Get on the email lists of your senators and representatives in congress. Let them know what you want to see happen.

But don't forget the power we do and should have within our own state governments! We do seem to be forgetting that we are a United States of America. The federal government cannot and should not solve all of our problems.

Anyway, off my soapbox. Happy Inauguration Day!

No comments: